Monday, April 18, 2016

People v. Dunley (Cal. Ct. App. - April 18, 2016)

"Appellant displayed a belief that he was God or 'God’s son in the flesh,' and reported hallucinations and hearing voices, which sometimes commanded him to be aggressive."

Whenever I hear of anyone who thinks he's the messiah -- and/or higher up in the organization -- I need to remind myself that it's always possible that he's right.  At the same time, my reaction to such a claim is the same one that I have to solipsism.  Sure, if you start thinking that you might be God, or the only actual person in the universe, it's certainly possible that you're right.  But statistically, doesn't it seem like you're more likely than not wrong?

I mean, there are lots of other (alleged) minds in the world.  What's so special about you?

Other than, of course, that it's you.